Cucumbers are cool, refreshing, readily available and perfect for an uplifting homemade beauty treatment. Suitable for all skin types, however, with super sensitive skin, you may like to include a bit of finely ground oats.
A bit about Cucumbers
The high water content in cucumbers soften and hydrate skin.
Their flesh is high in Vitamin C.
They soothe minor skin irritations and help to rejuvenate and smooth wrinkles.
Cucumber skin contains silica, magnesium and potassium, so be sure to buy organic.
Some non-organic cucumbers have a thin wax coating, which may include carnuba wax. This wax, when hand milled and naturally processed may seem like an appropriate choice however, I have read that the wax "traps" the pesticides used during the growing process, so always peel a non-organic cumber that has the wax coating, whether you eat it or use it on your skin. The wax coating may also consist of other plant, animal, insect and petroleum materials and/or other compounds.
Cucumber Facial Treatment
- A good size chunk of finely grated organic cucumber - skin on, washed and scrubbed.
- Jojoba Oil - jojoba is a liquid wax which closely resembles the natural sebum within our skin, removes excess oils, balances the skin's natural oil and has natural anti-oxidant properties.
- White Kaolin Clay - a mild clay that stimulates circulation, gently exfoliates and cleanses, it does not draw oils from the skin which makes it a good choice for all skin types.
- In a small dish add the grated cumber, next drizzle in a touch of jojoba and sprinkle in a bit of the clay, enough to thicken up the mixture.
- Use your fingers working in a circular motion to gently apply to face and neck.
- At this point, you can tissue off the bulk and rinse with lukewarm water or leave on for about 8-10 minutes as a masque treatment, followed with a thorough warm water rinse.
- Gently pat skin dry, always use care on delicate facial skin, excess pulling and scrubbing should be avoided.
- A spreadable thin paste-like application works best.
- Discard any left over treatment, or even better, use it another body part, like hands and/or feet.
Pennie Mills of Vegan Aesthetics
(formerly Ladies Blend) creates cruelty free vegan jewelry and
housewares, she is an avid supporter of animal rights, animal welfare
and donates continuously to animal charities.