Pennie Mills' Beautiful Living Articles
Written by Pennie Mills of Vegan Aesthetics
Herbal baby oil is easy to make and nice to have on hand to use on delicate baby skin anytime of the year.
Supplies to Have Ready:
Clean Dry Jars-recycle your Glass Jars or use Canning/Mason jars.
Certified Organic Chamomile Flower and Calendula Flowers.
Certified Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
When I made this I used ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs.
- Fill your jar half full with a combination of the chamomile & calendula.
- Fill the rest of the jar with the Olive Oil, leaving about a one-inch space at the top.
- If using a metal lid, place a piece of plastic wrap over the opening of the jar, then cap.
- Label, date and store in a cupboard or pantry for 6-8 weeks.
- Shake gently daily or occasionally.
- At the end of 6-8 weeks, use triple layered cheesecloth to strain the oil and discard the herbs.
- Be sure that the oil is free from all tiny herbal particles, this may indicate several strainings.
Warm a small amount of oil in your hands before applying to baby’s skin.
Use to heal, comfort, soothe & heal bottoms and to moisturize & condition skin.
Add a touch to a warm water bath-be careful of slippery baby skin, only use a touch of oil.
Use to add glide for bonding massage time.
Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil attracts external moisture while still allowing for normal skin functions to take place. It is mild, gentle, healing and superior for baby’s tender skin. Calendula has been used by Physicians to treat minor infections and skin irritations; it is extremely gentle. Chamomile is confirmed by research to be useful in treating minor skin conditions, it is known to calm and is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.
Store baby oil in a cabinet, closet or cupboard outside of the bathroom. Take care not to get water inside the bottle, as this contains no preservative.
I feel it is ultimately best to store herbal formulas in glass. However, a plastic squeeze bottle is irreplaceable for parents on the go. A plastic bottle with a secure lid can easily be tossed into diaper bags and purses, with no worries of breakage.
Pennie Mills of Vegan Aesthetics (formerly Ladies Blend) creates cruelty free vegan jewelry and housewares, she is an avid supporter of animal rights, animal welfare and donates continuously to animal charities.