“Most toothpaste contains a number of slow moving poisons that accumulate in the highly sensitive and permeable mucous membranes in the mouth and lead to toxic overload. Over time, these toxins can cause serious health risks.” (1)
Poisons. A harsh word, I know. But lets call it what it is. I refuse to pretend a toxin is safe even in small doses! After all, how do you measure how much is absorbed anyway? Obviously, for a child, even a small amount is toxic.
What are these toxins?
Most commercial toothpastes contain at least three potentially harmful, possibly toxic, and at the very least unnecessary chemicals: Glycerin, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and artificial sweeteners. Fluoride, which many people choose to avoid due to toxicity concerns, is also common to commercial mouth care.
Glycerin is thought to leave a coating on the teeth, possibly contributing to de-mineralization and preventing re-mineralization (the layering of minerals back into the enamel structure). Re-mineralization strengthens the enamel and protects the tooth.
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is readily absorbed by the body and is considered a “probable human carcinogen” by the Environmental Working Group (EWG). According to the EWG, SLS may cause skin irritation, eye irritation, and even hormone imbalances; exposure may also cause denaturing of structural protein – including the membranes in our mouths. SLS and Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate are the synthetic chemicals used as the foaming agents in toothpaste (1). SLS is also commonly found in engine degreaser, garage floor cleaners, and car wash soaps (2). In the scientific community, SLS is commonly acknowledged as a skin irritant and has been linked to mouth ulcers and canker sores (1).
Commercial products often include a variety of artificial sweeteners intended to make them palatable. For instance, saccharin is manufactured from petroleum products, and, like most artificial sweeteners, has been linked to cancer (EWG). Two other commonly used artificial sweeteners include sorbitol, and aspartame. These can cause horrible side effects (this list is SCARY) like headaches, dizziness, mood changes, vomiting or nausea, abdominal pain/cramps, change in vision, diarrhea, seizures/convulsions, memory loss, fatigue, numbness in legs, joint pain, unexplainable depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, systemic lupus, and various cancers (3). Symptoms many may suffer from, but difficult to link to a cause.
Aspartame is the technical name for the brand names NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. Aspartame is made up of three chemicals: aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. Did you know that a by-product of aspartame is formaldehyde?? For a great article on the dangers of aspartame, I suggest you read the article Aspartame is, by Far, the Most Dangerous Substance on the Market that is Added To Foods.
Fluoride has actually been categorized as a “toxic drug” by the FDA (1). If you are buying organic food to avoid pesticides but using commercial toothpaste, you might be interested to know that Sodium Fluoride was at one time widely used as an insecticide and a rodenticide (1). Fluoride toxicity can occur due to the toothpaste that may be ingested with every brushing, and can have harmful effects on the entire body. In children, dental fluorosis (enamel discoloration due to damage to the tooth forming cells) can occur. Studies have shown that fluoride can also cause damage to the brain, possibly causing IQ deficits in children. Fluoride can also adversely affect the pineal gland, thyroid gland, bone, gastrointestinal tract and has been linked to bone and bladder cancers (4).
Now, think of your kids. Do you think that, on occasion, they probably swallow some of the toothpaste you put on their brushes? Maybe even you do sometimes? And even if you’re not swallowing it, you are still putting it into you mouth where it has access to the rest of your body (Sublingual absorption). Is that a risk you are willing to take on yourself and your family?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We need to start reading labels and paying attention to what we are putting in and on our bodies! We need to be educated to know what to look for on those labels! For all of you gum chewers, diet pop drinkers, diet yogurt eaters, or “diet” and “sugar-free” anything- PAY ATTENTION! Aspartame is used in almost all “sugar-free” and “diet” substances. We are conditioned to be blissfully unaware – and ok with that! NOT ANYMORE!!!
Trina Felber, RN, BSN, MSN, CRNA, CEO Primal Life Organics
Primal Life Organics offers Face, Body, Hair, Makeup, Baby and Dental Products - All 100% Chemical and Preservative Free.
We make skincare that will improve your health. The product you receive is a fresh, all-natural product, that will nourish your skin and hair from the outside.
Check Out Primal Life Organic's Dirty Mouth Primal Toothpowder